Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Mechanical Engineer (Engineer, Engineering)
at Aerojet Rocketdyne
- Job ID
- Engineering - Mechanical Engineering
Aerojet Rocketdyne Coleman Aerospace is looking for a Mechanical Engineer for its Orlando, FL location.
In this role, you will be responsible for mechanical design aspects of missile systems and associated ground support equipment. Duties span conceptual design through detailed design technical drawings. Production support activities are also required including engineering change management and non-conformance resolution.
This current opening may be filled at the level posted or at one level higher.
Essential Job Functions (Including % of Time for Each)
30% - Create mechanical detail design drawings of vehicle structures, component installations, ancillary brackets and adapters in accordance with ASME Y14.5 and published command media.
30% - Create concepts that comply with requirements for packaging of missile components, structural airframe, access requirements and concept of operations.
10% - Ensure part interchangeability through proper application of tolerance stack-up methods.
10% - Peer review design drawings and documents for sound application of mechanical engineering principles and proper application of command media guidelines.
5% - Assess non-conformances for root cause/corrective action, provide disposition instructions and prepare Material Review Board materials as required.
5% - Prepare engineering change requests as required to support production.
5% - Comply with command media requirements regarding business practices and procedures.
5% - Maintain subject matter expertise in selected areas relevant to mechanical design of aerospace systems.
Requires a BS in Mechanical Engineering (or related discipline) and a minimum of 2 years of related experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience).
US Citizenship required. Must be able to obtain and maintain a U.S. Security Clearance at the appropriate level (U.S. Citizenship required). Must also be able to satisfy federal government requirements for access to government information, and having dual citizenship may preclude you from being able to meet this requirement.
Additional Requirements and Preferred Qualifications:
- Proficiency with PTC’s Creo 2.0, especially with detail part design, and drawing documentation.
- Ability to develop structural designs including parts of various machining techniques, component placements, and design concepts that conform to requirements documents.
- Working knowledge of basic material selection, sheet metal design practices, basic machining practices and aerospace hardware selection.
- Working knowledge of ASME Y14.5-1994 and general drawing standards.
- Experience with Part List preparation.
- Experience with engineering change document preparation and impact assessments.
- Detail-oriented and ability to perform Peer Reviews of fellow engineers’ designs and drawings.
- Ability to manage own time.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Basic understanding of mechanical analysis concepts desired.
- Experience in non-conforming material review of root cause/corrective action and disposition instructions.
- Experience with hands-on engineering support of manufacturing desired.
- Experience with White Belt training, lean manufacturing, and/or 6-sigma practices desired.
- Willingness and ability to work occasional extra hours as required to meet critical schedule milestones.
Work Environment and Physical Requirements:
Employees in these positions must possess mobility to work in a standard office setting and to use standard office equipment, including a computer; stamina to sit and to maintain attention to detail despite interruptions; may occasionally lift/carry/push/pull up to 15 pounds; may require minimal walking, climbing, stooping, crouching, and/or bending; and vision to read printed materials and a computer screen, and hearing and speech to communicate in person and over the telephone. May require the ability to travel by air or auto. May require the use of personal protective equipment such as safety glasses, safety shoes, and shop coat. These positions may be expected to work varying shifts and hours to ensure successful operation of activities in the organization.