Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Civil CAD Designer
at AVCON, Inc.
- # of Openings
As part of a design team, the CAD Designer will be responsible for the preparation of construction drawings for small and large infrastructure planning and design, stormwater design and permitting, pavement evaluations and design, site and facilities design, commercial site development layouts, utility system design, and related services. Duties also include preparation of project specifications and assembling permit submittals (City, County, and State).
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS (may include but are not limited to):
- Support the engineering team with CAD knowledge.
- Develop CAD drawings for assigned department.
- Create plans independently and under direction from senior staff.
- Technical development of contract plans and marketing exhibits.
- Maintain project drawing files.
- Create maps, graphs, charts, overlays, base drawings, details and sketches.
- Complete red line mark-ups and address design comments related to the site layout and details.
- Organize and prepare a variety of complex layouts and drawings from written or verbal specifications or from rough or detailed sketches.
- Follow CAD standards for the project established by the client, firm, and industry.
- Recommend standards and symbols to meet specialized needs of a particular project, or to facilitate or improve CAD productivity.
- Maintain current knowledge of design and drafting procedures in specialty field.
- Use basic quantity and geometry calculations in creation of drawings.
- Perform mathematical calculations and quantity takeoffs.
- Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little or no advanced notice.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum five years of experience in civil engineering drafting and design. Airport, transportation or land development experience, desired.
- Proficiency with AutoCAD and Civil 3D.
- Proficiency with MS Outlook, MS Excel, and MS Word.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, ABILITY, AND SKILLS
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and clients.
- Ability to organize work, set priorities, pay attention to detail, and follow-up on assignments with minimal supervision.
- Ability to maintain confidentially and protect privileged client information and documents appropriately.
- Ability to work calmly and effectively in a high volume office environment under pressure of heavy deadlines.
- Knowledge of correct English usage including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Valid drivers’ license and maintenance of satisfactory driving record.
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
Due to the collaborative nature of this position and accessibility for in-house client meetings, it is important that this position physically work in the office.
Work usually takes place in a clean, pleasant, and comfortable office setting. Site visits may occasionally take place in an outdoor environment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
TOOL/PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required for this job. Management reserves the right to make adjustments and/or assign or reassign any portion of this job description at any time with or without notice.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AVCON, INC. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, AVCON complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment at every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
AVCON expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of AVCON’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Founded in 1988, AVCON, INC. (AVCON) is a Florida-based, full-service engineering and planning firm specializing in transportation, facilities, development, and aviation projects. As a growing firm, AVCON continually looks for talented engineers in the civil, structural, electrical, and mechanical disciplines. AVCON has a staff of over 80 professionals and is headquartered in Orlando, Florida with regional offices in Niceville, Florida and Charlotte, North Carolina. AVCON has been ranked as one of Central Florida’s largest engineering firms by the Orlando Business Journal consecutively since 2007.
AVCON’s projects include facility master plans; pavement evaluation and design; power distribution, building lighting, and electrical systems design; security and low-voltage electrical design; airfield lighting and navigational aids evaluation and design; airport hangar and terminal developments; traffic assessments and roadway design; utility coordination and design; drainage and stormwater improvements; residential and commercial site planning and design; HVAC, pluming, and fire protection design; and structural inspections and design.
AVCON prides itself on partnering with clients, colleagues, and peers in Transforming Today’s Ideas into Tomorrow’s Reality.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES: Please note that AVCON does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AVCON will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AVCON explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AVCON.