Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Intern - Civil Engineer, Part Time (15 - 20 hours/per week), Land Development
at AVCON, Inc.
- # of Openings
This is a mentorship position designed to serve both an immediate objective of providing support to engineering staff and a long term objective of internally developing exceptional engineering talent.
PROJECT EXPOSURE (may include but are not limited to)
- Basic drafting skills and techniques.
- Working with and supporting engineers or higher level technicians in the development and maintenance of project documentation from design to construction.
- Performing a variety of routine tasks designed to provide hands-on experience with engineering methods and practices to include engineering calculations, quantities take-offs, cost estimating, CAD, and project specification review and development.
- Task assignments are selected to provide educational challenge, professional growth, and completion of ongoing project deliverables and milestones.
The ideal candidate is an engineering student in their third or higher year with a strong potential to develop into an outstanding engineer with the following success factors:
- Advanced academic record.
- A demonstrated aptitude in engineering with an emphasis on both the practical and theoretical aspects of the engineering profession.
- Demonstrated leadership and personal motivation.
- Evidence of high potential for exceptional achievement.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND TECHNCIAL COMPETENCIES
- Current Bachelor’s or Master’s level student majoring in Civil Engineering.
- Familiarity with MS Outlook, MS Word, and MS Excel.
- Exposure and working knowledge of AutoCAD, preferred.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to maintain confidentially and protect privileged client information and documents appropriately.
- Knowledge of correct English usage including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Self-motivated, conscientious, and willing to learn.
- Effective listening skills.
Some relevant experience that indicates a propensity to excel by demonstrating leadership, initiative, accomplishment, and/or teamwork.
- Valid drivers’ license and maintenance of satisfactory driving record.
- Engineer in Training (EIT), preferred for Bachelor’s final year and Master’s level students.
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
Due to the collaborative nature of this position and accessibility for in-house client meetings, it is important that this position physically work in the office.
Work usually takes place in a clean, pleasant, and comfortable office setting. Site visits may occasionally take place in an outdoor environment. Responsibilities sometimes require working evenings and weekends, sometimes with little or no advanced notice.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
TOOL/PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required for this job. Management reserves the right to make adjustments and/or assign or reassign any portion of this job description at any time with or without notice.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AVCON, INC. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, AVCON complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment at every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
AVCON expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of AVCON’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
Founded in 1988, AVCON, INC. (AVCON) is a Florida-based, full-service engineering and planning firm specializing in transportation, facilities, development, and aviation projects. As a growing firm, AVCON continually looks for talented engineers in the civil, structural, electrical, and mechanical disciplines. AVCON has a staff of over 80 professionals and is headquartered in Orlando, Florida with regional offices in Niceville, Florida and Charlotte, North Carolina. AVCON has been ranked as one of Central Florida’s largest engineering firms by the Orlando Business Journal consecutively since 2007.
AVCON’s projects include facility master plans; pavement evaluation and design; power distribution, building lighting, and electrical systems design; security and low-voltage electrical design; airfield lighting and navigational aids evaluation and design; airport hangar and terminal developments; traffic assessments and roadway design; utility coordination and design; drainage and stormwater improvements; residential and commercial site planning and design; HVAC, pluming, and fire protection design; and structural inspections and design.
AVCON prides itself on partnering with clients, colleagues, and peers in Transforming Today’s Ideas into Tomorrow’s Reality.
NOTICE TO THIRD PARTY AGENCIES: Please note that AVCON does not accept unsolicited resumes from recruiters or employment agencies. In the absence of a signed Recruitment Fee Agreement, AVCON will not consider or agree to payment of any referral compensation or recruiter fee. In the event a recruiter or agency submits a resume or candidate without a previously signed agreement, AVCON explicitly reserves the right to pursue and hire those candidate(s) without any financial obligation to the recruiter or agency. Any unsolicited resumes, including those submitted to hiring managers, are deemed to be the property of AVCON.