Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Intern - Civil Engineering (Summer 2018)
at AVCON, Inc.
- # of Openings
- Job Locations
AVCON, INC. is a Florida-based full-service engineering and planning firm established in 1988 specializing in airports, transportation facilities, and site development projects. As a growing firm, we continually look for talented engineers in the civil, structural, electrical, and mechanical disciplines. We have a staff of over 80 professionals headquartered in Orlando, Florida with regional offices in Niceville, Florida and Charlotte, North Carolina.
Our projects range from facility master plans to pavement evaluation and design, power distribution, building lighting and electrical systems design, airfield lighting, navigational aids, hangar developments, security and low-voltage electrical projects, roadway designs and traffic assessments, utility and storm water improvements, residential and commercial site planning, HVAC design and plumbing, fire protection, and structural design.
AVCON is the second largest engineering firm headquartered in Orlando according to the Orlando Business Journal 2015 Book of Lists. The firm has ranked within the top 20 of the Orlando Sentinel’s Top 100 Companies for Working Families seven years in a row.
AVCON transforms today’s ideas into tomorrow’s reality.
As a Civil Engineering intern, there is the opportunity to work on our Airports team. This is a mentorship position designed to serve both an immediate objective of providing support to engineering staff and a long term objective of internally developing exceptional engineering talent.
PROJECT EXPOSURE (may include but are not limited to)
- Basic drafting skills and techniques.
- Working with and supporting engineers or higher level technicians in the development and maintenance of project documentation from design to construction.
- Performing a variety of routine tasks designed to provide hands-on experience with engineering methods and practices to include engineering calculations, quantities take-offs, cost estimating, CADD, and project specification review and development.
- Task assignments are selected to provide educational challenge, professional growth, and completion of ongoing project deliverables and milestones.
The ideal candidate is an engineering student in their third or higher year with a strong potential to develop into an outstanding engineer with the following success factors:
- Advanced academic record.
- A demonstrated aptitude in engineering with an emphasis on both the practical and theoretical aspects of the engineering profession.
- Demonstrated leadership and personal motivation.
- Evidence of high potential for exceptional achievement.
EDUCATIONAL REQUIREMENTS AND TECHNCIAL COMPETENCIES
- Current Bachelor’s or Master’s level student majoring in Civil Engineering, with a focus on Construction Management, Transportation, or interest in airports preferred.
- Familiarity with MS Outlook, MS Word, and MS Excel.
- Exposure and working knowledge of AutoCAD, preferred.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees and management.
- Ability to maintain confidentially and protect privileged client information and documents appropriately.
- Knowledge of correct English usage including spelling, grammar, punctuation, and vocabulary.
- Self-motivated, conscientious, and willing to learn.
- Effective listening skills.
Some relevant experience that indicates a propensity to excel by demonstrating leadership, initiative, accomplishment, and/or teamwork.
- Valid drivers’ license and maintenance of satisfactory driving record.
- Engineer in Training (EIT), preferred for Bachelor’s final year and Master’s level students.
There are no supervisory responsibilities associated with this position.
Due to the collaborative nature of this position and accessibility for in-house client meetings, it is important that this position physically work in the office.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to sit for long periods of time. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to ten (10) pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
TOOL/PERSONAL PROTECTIVE EQUIPMENT REQUIREMENTS
Work usually takes place in a clean, pleasant, and comfortable office setting.
Nothing in this job description restricts management’s right to assign or reassign duties and responsibilities to this job at any time.
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
AVCON, INC. provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, AVCON complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment at every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
AVCON expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of AVCON’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.