Charlotte County Government
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Utilities Wastewater Plant Operator (Level C, B or A)
at Charlotte County Government
- General Summary & Essential Responsibilities
Performs technical skilled work in the safe and efficient operation at an assigned wastewater treatment plant according to local, state, and federal guidelines and laws. Work requires the exercise of technical knowledge and independent judgment in making treatment process adjustments and maintenance to plant equipment, machinery, and related control apparatus in accordance with established procedures and standards; and in the collection and analysis of effluent, sewage, and sludge samples. May act as lead worker, training plant operators and unskilled and semi?skilled workers, as assigned by the supervisor.
- Operates and maintains wastewater treatment plant, performing all duties in accordance with all applicable locals, state and federal policies, procedures, safety rules, laws, regulations, and water quality standards.
- Starts, stops, and operates machinery, equipment and systems necessary for the proper functioning of the plant: inspects, adjusts, and performs minor repairs and cleaning of treatment plant equipment; reports malfunctions of equipment to supervisor; assists mechanics in major repairs and installation of equipment.
- Performs routine laboratory and bacteriological analysis to determine effectiveness of the treatment process and records results.
- Inspects, monitors, reads, and interprets recording charts, dials, and meters to determine flow and feed rates, and electrical current flow: performs routine adjustments to controls in conformance with operating instructions to ensure that the purifying process is functioning properly.
- Operates and cleans pumps, hoses, and strainers: removes solids from bar screens; oils, greases, rags, and cleans machinery and any other plant appurtenance as required.
- Prepares routine reports and maintains records and daily logs.
- Performs various grounds maintenance duties.
- May act as a lead worker providing guidance, direction and training to plant operator trainees and unskilled and semi-skilled workers as assigned by the supervisor.
- Provide exceptional customer assistance, problem-solving, and/or complaints by all forms of communication.
- Min. Education, Licenses and Certifications
Minimum Education and Experience:
- High school diploma or GED required.
- One (1) year experience operating a wastewater / water treatment plant
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license.
- Must possess and maintain a valid Florida Wastewater Operator "C" License for Domestic Wastewater / Water Treatment.
- Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of operating principles, practices, theories applicable to water/wastewater treatment, equipment, and machinery.
- Knowledge of mechanical maintenance and lubrication requirements of the equipment operated.
- Knowledge of the occupational hazard and safety precautions required of the work.
- Ability to accurately follow routine operation and recording procedures.
- Ability to detect faulty operating characteristics in equipment or processes and make minor mechanical repairs or adjustments.
- Ability to operate and monitor heavy and light mowing equipment, pumps, motors, valves, and structures.
- Ability to exercise judgment and discretion in applying and interpreting department rules, regulations, policies, and procedures.
- Ability to make recommendations and to use resourcefulness and tact in solving new problems.
- Ability to instruct subordinate operators in plant operations, and to act as lead worker with a team of subordinates and/or peers.
- Ability to ascertain priorities and meet deadlines and objectives.
- Ability to perform complex mathematical calculations.
- Good written and oral communication skills.
- Knowledge of standard office computer equipment and software applications; ability to maintain accurate records and reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
- Ability to provide internal/external guidance and customer assistance via all forms of communication.
- Supplemental Information
Working Conditions: Work typically requires moderate exposure to one or more disagreeable conditions (i.e., irate customers, outdoors weather conditions, excessive noise, extreme heat, odors or dust).
Risk/Safety Conditions: This position requires moderate exposure or risk to physical health and/or physical safety (e.g., exposure to environmentally hazardous material, heavy equipment, assault and battery, communicable disease, etc.).
Physical Activities: Stooping, crouching, walking, pulling, grasping, hearing, seeing up close, seeing far away, kneeling, reaching, pushing, talking, standing, finger movement, repetitive motions, depth perception. Frequent lifting up to 25 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds.
DISCLAIMER: The information on this description has been designed to indicate the general nature and level of work performed by employees within this classification. It is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, environmental conditions, or qualifications required of employees assigned to this job.