City of Aventura
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Public Safety Dispatcher (Lateral)
at City of Aventura
**WE ARE ACCEPTING APPLICATIONS FOR LATERAL CANDIDATES ONLY**
Responsible for carrying out two-way communications with law enforcement personnel. Work involves screening routine and emergency telephone requests for police services and relaying that information to police personnel in the field. Duties also include, but are not limited to, performing record checks for officers in the field, keeping records of all police units available, and responding to requests. Position reports to the Communications Supervisor.
Lateral means you have previous law enforcement dispatching experience.
- Duties & Responsibilities
Receives, processes and routes routine and emergency information by use of electronic phone system, computer aided dispatch (CAD) software and emergency medical dispatch (EMD) software
Keeps track of other various forms of information such as traffic conditions
Interacts and fields complaints from the general public, corporate sector and other members of the public safety community
Makes phone calls to Reverse 9-1-1 members in order to check on their welfare
Maintains employee sick log while keeping various departmental supervisors informed of any activity via email or radio
Maintains communications work area and equipment to ensure that it is in clean and in working condition
Operates listed office machines as required
Enters data into standard office and departmental forms and/or logs, both manual and automated
Maintains dispatch documents and records; prepares dispatch incident reports
Performs other duties as assigned or as may be necessary.
Monitors individuals in holding cells for proper conduct, safety and medical purposes
Assists the E-911 Manager and/or Communications Supervisor with overflow data entry and miscellaneous tasks.
- Qualifications & Requirements
Must pass thorough background investigation, polygraph, psychological, medical and drug screen. The ability to pass the Emergency Medical Dispatch (EMD) certification exam and obtain CPR/AED certification within 90 days of employment.
Preference is given to candidates who have at least three year's law enforcement dispatching experience and Florida Department of Health Public Safety Telecommunicator Certification.
Requirements include, but are not limited to:
- High School graduation
- 2 yrs clerical and telephone experience
- Ability to speak clearly and distinctly
- Ability to discern an emergency from a non-emergency situation
- Ability to react quickly, calmly, and correctly in processing calls for emergency assistance
- Ability to simultaneously perform multiple tasks
- Ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written instructions
- Ability to obtain FCIC/NCIC certification
- Ability to monitor and comprehend FCIC and NCIC telecommunications systems in accordance with respective regulations
- Skills in typing and operating telecommunications equipment
- Operating two-way radio, telephone and FAX equipment
- Ability to comprehend and carry oral and written instructions
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees and the public
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy and courtesy in dealing with a variety of people
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Supplemental Information
- This position requires employee to work day, evening, overnight, rotating shifts, weekends, holidays and emergencies.
Applicants will be asked to complete a pre-employment skills assessment, Criticall.