City of Delray Beach, Florida
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Delray Beach, Florida
- Job Description
*Pay can be commensurate with education and experience*
EEO StatementThe City of Delray Beach does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability, marital status, family status or sexual orientation in employment or the provision of services
Non-SmokingThis position requires professional skill to analyze and report on complex accounting, budgeting and auditing issues. Requires a thorough understanding of accounting principles, basic analytical methods, financial statements and applicable source documents. Involves maintaining detailed journals and ledgers with the ability to prepare financial statements and reports. This position will analyze transactions, post entries and collect and evaluate data. This position will exercise judgment within defined parameters, make recommendations and facilitate decision making. This position reports to the Accounting Manager.
The City of Delray Beach is a Non-Tobacco Workplace. The City will not consider applicants who have used tobacco or nicotine products for a period of at least three months prior to application for employment. The definition of "tobacco or nicotine products" includes but is not limited to, cigarettes, cigars, chewing tobacco, pipes, snuff, e-cigarettes and nicotine patches or gum.
- Essential Job Duties
The following duties are normal for this position. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the classification if the work is similar, related, or a logical assignment for this classification. Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Prepare, examine, and analyze accounting records, financial statements and other financial reports to assess accuracy, completeness and conformance to reporting and procedural standards.
- Analyze business operations, trends, costs, revenues, financial commitments and obligations.
- Establish account numbers within given parameters and assign entries to proper accounts.
- Survey operations to ascertain accounting needs and to recommend, develop and maintain solutions to operational and financial problems.
Specific functions that may be assigned:
FULL PERFORMANCE, KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS
- Administration and overview of Purchasing Card Program.
- Assist with Capital Improvement Plan
- Prepare work sheets and schedules for external auditors.
- Prepare grant reports and schedules. Coordinate the grant process with Project Managers from the grant award to grant close-out.
- Prepare and review fixed asset transactions and schedules.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Considerable knowledge of: theory, principals, methods and practices of accounting; of laws, ordinances and regulations governing municipal financial matters including accounting and reporting.
- Establish and maintain effective working relations ships with associates.
- Express technical ideas effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Assist in the development and implementation of goals, objectives, policies, procedures, work standards and internal controls for the department and assigned program areas.
- Use logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions.
- Considerable knowledge of theory, principals, methods and practices of accounting; of laws, ordinances and regulations governing municipal financial matters including accounting and reporting.
- Minimum Qualifications
Ability to analyze investments and prepare required journal entries and schedules for pension plans. Knowledge of governmental accounting and auditing theory and practices; applications; modern office procedures and practices. Maintains knowledge of IRS laws and regulations regarding 1099 reporting, reviews vendors throughout the year to determine reportable status, responds to IRS notices reporting, and provides direction & assistance to others. Knowledge of organization and function of municipal government; mainframe software applications, electronic spreadsheets and word processing. Prepares written reports and analysis; plan, organize and perform audits. Ability to manage and prioritize routine, specialized and complex assignments and problems utilizing knowledge acquired through prior education, training, and experience. Knowledge of development and implementation of accounting and auditing procedures and systems. Ability to communicate effectively in oral and written form. Ability to adapt to an evolving and continually improving environment. Requires demonstrated ability to utilize personal computer and office software such as MS Word, MS Excel and electronic mail. Uses computer software programs for word processing and/or accounting purposes.
- Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or a related field with a CPA or CGFO Certification.
- Three (3) years accounting experience.
- Experience in governmental accounting is preferred.
- Ability to analyze and reconcile revenues and expenditures for various Federal, State and Local Grants, CRA projects, Golf Course and Cemetery.
The abilities expected of all employees include being able to respond to supervision, guidance and direction of superiors in a positive, receptive manner and in accordance with stated policies, be appropriately groomed and attired so as to present a professional image in accordance with the organization's mission, goals, and policies; report for work promptly and properly prepared at the time and place required by the assignment or orders; notify the appropriate supervisor of intended absences in accordance with stated rules; conform with standards and rules regarding use of accrued time; demonstrate a polite, helpful and courteous manner when engaged in any activity with the public; operate and care for equipment to manufacturer's specifications and/or within the specified parameters; demonstrate an understanding, consideration, and respect of cultural, religious, and gender differences when interacting with the public and colleagues.
A comparable combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this position, may be substituted for the minimum qualifications.
- Supplemental Information
Physical Demands/Work Environment:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics described are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to sit and talk or hear, use hands to finger, handle, feel, or operate objects, tools, or controls, and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision and the ability to adjust focus. Works inside in an office environment. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
SELECTION GUIDELINES: Formal application, rating of education and experience; oral interview and reference check; job related tests might be required. The job description does not constitute an employment agreement with the employer, and requirements of the job change.