City of Port Orange
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at City of Port Orange
Pay: up to $14.28/hour
$14.28 - $
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2514844
Overall Job Objective
- Position Objectives
- Automotive Mechanics shall be eligible for $500.00 a year for each ASE Certification, Allison Auto Transmission, or Emergency Vehicle Technician certification earned and $1,500 a year for Advanced Specialist & Master Auto Technician up to a maximum of $2,000 per year.
This is a highly skilled position responsible for mechanical work at the journeyman level in the repair and maintenance of gasoline and diesel powered vehicles and construction type equipment.
- Essential Functions
- Examine vehicle and discuss with lead mechanic the nature and extent of damage or malfunction.
- Plans work procedure
- Raise vehicles, with hydraulic jack or hoist, to gain access to mechanical units bolted to underside of vehicle
- Remove units such as engine, transmission, or differential
- Disassemble units and inspect parts for wear
- Repair or replace parts such as pistons, rods, gears, valves, and bearings
- Overhaul or replace carburetors, blowers, generators, distributors, starters, and pumps
- Realign and adjust brakes, align front end, repair or replace shock absorbers
- Replace and adjust headlights, and install and repair accessories such as radios, heaters, mirrors, and windshield wipers
- Make tests to locate defects in operation and as a check on repairs before returning equipment to service
- Perform welding duties as required
- Education & Experience
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
- Eight (8) years experience at the journeyman level as an automotive or diesel mechanic and/or training.
- Class B Commercial Drivers License.
- Certification as an automotive mechanic.
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of construction, design, repair and adjustment of diesel motors and of the common types of construction equipment where such motors are used for power, such as graders and tractors.
- Knowledge of tools and equipment needed for major and minor repairs of diesel and gasoline motors.
- Knowledge of hydraulic systems, especially those employed in diesel powered construction equipment.
- Knowledge of both light and heavy-duty electrical systems in regard to their role in the proper functioning of engineering equipment.
- Knowledge of the principles of operation of diesel fueled and gasoline internal combustion engines.
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret work related documents.
- Ability to write correspondence, memos, and other documentation in standard English text. Ability to effectively present information in written and oral format to individuals.
- Ability to comprehend and apply principles of basic mathematical concepts related to this position.
- Ability to follow and interpret instructions furnished in written and oral format.
- Skill at diagnosing defects and failures of diesel and gasoline motors and diesel and gasoline powered equipment.