City of Sunrise Florida
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Seasonal Lifeguard III 11519
at City of Sunrise Florida
$39055.7 - $39055.7
Job Status: Seasonal
Job Reference #: 2322082
Overall Job Objective
NATURE OF WORK
This is seasonal work in the area of recreation, which follows well-established procedures. This is skilled supervisory water safety enforcement work at a City swimming pool.Employees in this class are responsible for assigning and supervising the work of subordinate lifeguards and providing assistance in difficult or unusual water safety problems. Incumbents make work assignments, review work of subordinate lifeguards by routine inspection of guard posts, and assure the maintenance of skills and physical endurance of lifeguards through regular swimming, lifesaving exercises and tests. Supervision is received from a superior who reviews work for adherence to established departmental and public safety policies and procedures. Employee is responsible for monitoring activities of pool patrons to prevent accidents or loss of life through drowning and for administering first aid or artificial respiration.
- Examples of Duties
- ILLUSTRATIVE TASKS
- Responds to and oversees various types of pool oriented emergencies; assures delivery of advanced first aid and/or emergency life-support systems; establishes and maintains control of an emergency scene.
- Prepares a variety of incident, accident, and activity reports; provides statistical summaries; documents actions taken, and informs superiors of daily operations.
- Inspects emergency life-support equipment; identifies and corrects substandard operating conditions; ensures operational efficiency.
- Enforces local ordinances and general rules regarding water safety; maintains daily maintenance and pool chemical usage logs.
- Substitutes for superiors or subordinates as conditions warrant; determines staffing requirements.
- Reports incidents of a fire, police or medical nature to the appropriate service agency; assists in the expeditious delivery of the required service.
- Supervises subordinate lifeguards through work assignment, inspection and performance evaluation; maintains employee discipline; obtains optimal utilization of manpower; meets day-to-day work priorities.
- Conducts daily physical fitness programs; ensures the maintenance of required skills and physical endurance for job assignment; trains subordinate lifeguards in new or existing lifesaving techniques and first aid methods; promotes operational effectiveness.
- Operates a swimming pool recirculation system, fresh water make-up and over-flow systems and filter cleaning system.
- Participates in performing custodial tasks as applies to pool decks and surfaces, offices, locker rooms, bath houses and other support buildings.
- Conducts chemical test for pool water quality and monitors pool water temperatures.
- Applies chemicals to maintain water quality standards; vacuums pool and cleans pool walls and back washes pool filters.
- Answers inquiries from pool patrons and gives assistance when needed.
- May operate and clean pool filtration equipment.
- Collects pool admission and registration fees.
- Performs related work as required.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or G.E.D. equivalency diploma.
- PROOF OF THE HIGHEST LEVEL OF COMPLETED EDUCATION MUST BE SUBMITTED AS AN ATTACHMENT WITH APPLICATION. (Applications without attached proof of education will not be processed for consideration.)
- Must have two (2) seasons (or 640 work hours) of experience as a lifeguard or swimming instructor.
NECESSARY SPECIAL QUALIFICATION
- Possession of a current Lifeguard Training Certification, which includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED and First Aid or equivalent
- Water safety instructor's certificate preferred.
You MUST attach copies of the following documents to your application upon submission:
- Proof of highest level of completed education (i.e. student ID, degree, diploma, etc.)
- Current Red Cross Lifeguard Training Certification, which includes CPR for the Professional Rescuer, AED and First Aid or equivalent
Your application will not be considered without these documents attached. If you have trouble attaching the documents, please contact the Human Resources Department to ask for assistance.
- Supplemental Information
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Considerable knowledge of established procedures for providing advanced first aid and approved emergency life-support systems for various individual emergency cases.
- Knowledge of the use and purpose of approved life-support equipment.
- Knowledge of emergency plans and procedures.
- Knowledge of supervisory methods.
- Knowledge of training principles and methods.
- Knowledge of public relations practices.
- Knowledge of the physical layout of the assigned facility.
- Knowledge of effective manpower utilization procedures.
- Knowledge of the nature and symptoms of various injuries, illnesses, and diseases when commonly occur to patron.
- Ability to react promptly and correctly in emergency situations.
- Ability to perform a variety of physical tasks requiring sustained effort.
- Ability to apply advanced first aid techniques including cardio-vascular pulmonary resuscitation.
- Ability to assume direction of personnel to coordinate rescue and other emergency activities.
- Ability to make visual inspections.
- Ability to determine manpower needs and requirements.
- Ability to work independently.
- Ability to work under stress.
- Physical strength and agility necessary to perform lifesaving rescue.
- Skill in the application of advanced first aid services including cardio-pulmonary resuscitation.
HOURS AND LOCATION
- Seasonal / Full/Part Time: Varied Schedule
- All City of Sunrise pools