City of Sunrise Florida
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Utility Mechanic I (FIELD) 080719
at City of Sunrise Florida
Pay: $46424.9 to $63996.7/year
$46424.9 - $63996.7
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2533023
Overall Job Objective
NATURE OF WORK
This is skilled mechanical maintenance and repair work in underground water/wastewater collection and distribution systems.
An employee in this class is responsible for performing or assisting in the performance of a variety of assignments of routine difficulty involving repair and maintenance of municipal water/wastewater collection and distribution systems. Tasks require employees to exercise initiative and independent judgment when participating in installing or repairing of any utility system.
Employees will work independently on specific assignments. The employees usually work under general supervision, receiving instructions both verbally and in writing. However, for the more complicated tasks, immediate supervision will be provided. Some assignments of this class are hazardous, particularly when performing maintenance or repairs of the different utility systems.
Employee will need to understand many aspects of safety and how to maintain a safe work environment. Work is reviewed while in progress through observation, conferences and reports submitted, and upon completion through results obtained.
- Examples of Duties
- Performs mechanical work in installing maintaining, modifying, and repairing the municipal distribution and collection system.
- Assists in the maintenance and repair of lift and pump station systems; assists in the installation, maintenance and repair of electrical motors and generators used in various pumping operations; uses hand, bench and machine tools in the repair and maintenance of cranes, pumps, and other plant machinery and equipment.
- Detects some causes of pump or pipe failures
- Reads and understands plans and water and sewer atlas maps.
- Participates in the installation and repair of water mains, new service branches, hydrants, sanitary sewers, valves and water meters; may operate tapping machines, replace meter boxes, raise or lower meter boxes, reset meters, repair leaks at meters and responds to emergency calls.
- Answers customer complaints, locates service lines, detects leaks, excavates and repairs service lines.
- Graduation from an accredited high school or possession of a GED equivalency diploma
- Education supplemented by special courses in mechanical maintenance and repair, preferred
EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING
- PROOF OF HIGHEST LEVEL OF COMPLETED EDUCATION MUST BE SUBMITTED AS AN ATTACHMENT WITH APPLICATION. (Applications without attached proof of education will not be processed for consideration.)
- One (1) year of fulltime paid experience involving preventative maintenance and repair to utility related equipment, piping, valves, hydrants and meters in a utility distribution and/or collection system; OR one (1) full year permanent status as a City of Sunrise Serviceperson.
- Must have sufficient physical strength and agility to perform manual labor and operation of heavy machinery, such as backhoe and bobcat.
- Muss pass pre-employment and random drug testing as required and monitored by DOT 49 C.F.R. Part 382
- Possession of a valid Florida C.D.L. Class B with endorsements for air brakes with an acceptable driving record.
- Level 3 State of Florida Water Distribution License from FDEP in Maintenance of distribution systems, preferred.
- Must have the use of sensory skills in order to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public through personal contact, the use of the telephone and/or other City-issued technology devices.
- Physical capability to effectively use and operate City assigned vehicles, manual or power tools.
- Ability to climb, balance, bend, stoop, squat, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, push and/or pull, twist and make repetitive hand movements.
- Ability to walk, stand and sit for prolonged periods of time.
- Ability to work outdoors under varying temperatures, inclement weather and/or other adverse conditions.
- Ability to load, carry, lift, push and/or pull objects weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to operate a motorized vehicle.
- Ability to climb and descend stairways and ship ladders at unusual heights of up to 40 feet.
- Ability to hear within normal audio range, with or without correction.
- Ability to see in the normal visual range with or without correction. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to withstand exposure to the following conditions without stress: excessive noise, unpleasant odors, chemicals/other environmental substances , blood borne pathogens.
- If applicable: Perform work at locations with exposure over, in and around water, which may not be accessible to the physically handicapped.
- Supplemental Information
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Some knowledge of standard tools, methods, materials and practices utilized in the field of mechanical technology.
- Knowledge of occupational hazards and appropriate safety precautions, including those encountered while working near high voltages.
- Ability to interpret and work from technical sketches and plans as well atlases; locate, define and repair defects in system failures and equipment.
- Some ability to plan, layout, install, alter, repair, and maintain collection and distribution system.
- Ability to work in sanitary manholes and wet wells.
- Ability to understand and effectively carry out oral and written instructions.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with others.
- Ability to prepare and submit clear and concise reports orally and in writing.
- Some skill in the use and care of standard tools equipment and testing devices utilized in a large mechanical maintenance program.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, other employees, the general public and City officials.
- Ability to communicate effectively and persuasively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to withstand pressure of competing priorities and varied responsibilities and work efficiently and effectively to develop win-win solutions.