Family Physicians Group
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
at Family Physicians Group
The Referral Coordinator is responsible for processing referrals from the office and specialists in a timely accurate manner. This function includes obtaining authorizations when needed from various insurance companies. The referral coordinator works efficiently to obtain consult notes and reports from specialists and facilities, and reviews all incoming referral requests with both the provider and UM to prevent any unnecessary referrals or procedures.
Essential Functions and Duties
• Establish, retain and grow strong relationships with customers.
• Communicate with patients in a professional caring manner.
• Obtain referrals for patients and specialists.
• Process all referrals on a real time basis.
• Respond to all calls and messages by the end of the day.
• Document every interaction with patients in EMR.
• Make notations in patients’ charts as to what the status is pertaining to referral requested.
• Obtain specialists reports pertaining to a request for referral.
• Contact the specialist office to confirm referral was received.
• Forward medical records to the referral physician when requested.
• Obtain insurance authorization.
• Coordinate patient’s office visit for pre-op clearance.
• Verify that specialist performing procedure and/ or hospital, outpatient center has received a copy of the pre-op clearance.
• Transmit referrals to the specialists or facilities with appropriate documentation.
• Answer all telephone calls in a professional and courteous manner.
• Obtain all consult reports and closing outstanding orders in EMR.
• Attend regular meetings.
• Participate in cross training to be able to cover according to business needs.
• Serve as liaison between the insurance company and the patient.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Education and Experience
• High School Diploma or GED required.
• One (1) year experience as a Referral Coordinator.
• Medical Certification Preferred.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
• Knowledge of Electronic Medical Records preferred.
• Knowledge of medical coding and medical terminology.
• Ability to read and interpret medical coding and medical documents.
• Ability to be collaborative and effectively communicate with patient.
• Ability to have strong sense of urgency and use judgment to respond to emergencies.
• Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand and/or sit for extended period of time. The employee is occasionally required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift, push, pull and/or move up to 20 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Family Physicians Group is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity, and values the ways in which we are different. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or other characteristic protected by applicable law.