General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Hardware Engineering Lead
at General Dynamics Advanced Information Systems
- Job Location
- Required Clearance
- Secret, obtainable within reasonable time based on requirements
- Employment Type
- Full Time
- Hiring Company
- General Dynamics Mission Systems
Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering, a related specialized area or field is required (or equivalent experience) plus a minimum of 5 years of relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 3 years of relevant experience.
Department of Defense Secret clearance preferred at the time of hire. Department of Defense Secret clearance must be obtainable in a reasonable time after hire to support program efforts. Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
Responsibilities for this Position
General Dynamics Mission Systems has an immediate opening for a Hardware Engineering Lead. This position provides an opportunity to further advance the cutting-edge technology that supports some of our nation’s core defense/intelligence services and systems. General Dynamics Mission Systems employees work closely with esteemed customers to develop solutions that allow them to carry out high-stakes national security missions.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES AND TASKS:
Functions as lead for a small engineering team by:
- Leads and plans all hardware engineering activities for a multi-disciplined team consisting of mechanical engineers, electrical engineers and CAD designers. Experience with SAFE AGILE development is a plus.
- Leads hardware development activities throughout the project lifecycle following a structured design process consistent with General Dynamics established policies and procedures and best design practices.
- Ensures that engineering designs and solutions are fully compliant to all performance, quality and unit cost requirements.
- Leads the transition from engineering development into manufacturing to ensure engineering designs are production ready.
- Assists in developing project plans, project schedules and headcount resource forecasts.
- Interfaces with resource managers to ensure staffing and work objectives for the team are being met.
- Understands and interprets the technical, organizational and process aspects of assigned tasks and relates these to the technical needs of the overall project and/or organization.
- Monitors the development of mid-size projects from kickoff through delivery to ensure assigned tasks are completed within project schedules and budgets.
- Participates in the development of company proposals including the development of technical solutions, resource estimation, bidding, project planning, and basis of estimates.
Functions as a contributor by:
- Performs design and development of mechanical and electromechanical rack mounted and transit case mounted systems, air flow analysis and design for rack cooling, and structural design and analysis.
- Provides technical input to project and engineering management for linking project-related strategy to ensure business goals are met.
- Actively identifies technical and organizational risks and ensures they are included and monitored in risk mitigation plans.
- Participates in development of program strategies and teaming strategies as they relate to the assigned project
- Mentors junior level engineers in mechanical principles, project performance and engineering design processes.
- Demonstrates good judgment and advanced decision making skills in selecting methods and techniques for the development of creative and innovative solutions.
- Works on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors.
- Travel may be required
- Security clearance is required
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Must be proficient with 3D solid modeling CAD tools such as CREO and SolidWorks.
- Must be proficient with Parametric Data Management systems, preferably Windchill/PDMLink.
- Proficient knowledge with technical standards (ASME Y14.100, MIL-STD 31000), manufacturing/fabrication methods, government/industry standards
- Experience with interpreting COTS and MIL-STD level environmental requirements, and designing and testing systems that are compliant to these environmental requirements.
- Must possess proficient verbal and written skills for the purpose of preparing and presenting engineering designs at technical reviews, and the development of technical papers and proposals.
- Must have proven experience with leading engineering teams and projects.
- Shows initiative on assignments, exercises independent judgment and professionally executes projects with little direction and supervision/
PREFERRED DEGREE TYPES AND EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelors of Science in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- Prefer 8 years of relevant experience
- CREO 3.0 solid-modeling and drawing creation
- Windchill, ProLink, EPDM, ARAS PDM systems
- Knowledge of document change control and document control standards.
- Working knowledge of Product Line Engineering (PLE) methods and procedures is a plus.
- Experience with Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and FEA tools is a plus.
- Experience with SAFE AGILE development is a plus.
General Dynamics Mission Systems (GDMS) engineers a diverse portfolio of high technology solutions, products and services that enable customers to successfully execute missions across all domains of operation. With a global team of 13,000+ top professionals, we partner with the best in industry to expand the bounds of innovation in the defense and scientific arenas. Given the nature of our work and who we are, we value trust, honesty, alignment and transparency. We offer highly competitive benefits and pride ourselves in being a great place to work with a shared sense of purpose. You will also enjoy a flexible work environment where contributions are recognized and rewarded. If who we are and what we do resonates with you, we invite you to join our high performance team!
General Dynamics is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. EOE/Disability/Veteran