Our client is a long time, evidence-based leader in the field of social emotional learning (SEL). It is a trauma-informed, brain based self-regulation program combining discipline, social-emotional learning and school climate into one integrated process.
To date, they have trained/coached more than 3.5 million individuals, participated in 35,862 conferences and workshops, ultimately impacting 17.4 million children. Their program has been implemented by approximately 935 school districts, 171,600 administrators, 616,320 educators and 11,000 Head Start classrooms. It is currently practiced in 47 countries and translated into 22 languages and more are on the horizon.
As a result of our continued growth and expansion into new markets, they are in search of a Director of Professional Development to lead company efforts in program development, research efforts and strategic partnerships. Functions, duties and qualifications are as follows:
Full-time, executive-level position with oversight of the Professional Development Division and research, inclusive of strategic, collaborative and persuasive leadership, programs, events (summer institutes, workshops and industry conferences), Master and Certified Instructors and a staff team of 8-10 with responsibilities for implementation, contracts, bookings and events. Serves as an expert internally and externally in all matters pertaining to professional development and research. Creates and manages processes in collaboration with the executive team, universities, school districts, organizations, government officials and research partner, Child Trends. Designs implementation plans and integration of self-regulation and social emotional learning strategies. Cultivates strategic partnerships with public/private schools, community organizations, colleges/universities and agencies to further the company’s mission.
Primary Duties, Professional Development:
- Create, develop, promote, implement and assess system-level strategies to support Conscious Discipline Professional Development to move toward increased fidelity
- Oversee daily operations of the Professional Development Division, including supervision of 8-10 office staff, operating budget, customer/client data collection, implementation and annual events calendar
- Oversee the ongoing management of current local and regional programming (weeklong institutes, workshops and conferences) and facilitate the development of future programming and innovative strategies, including travel
- Create and oversee an annual strategic plan to ensure success and follow-through, including an extensive advanced planning calendar, data collection plan from strategic scheduling to program evaluation and client follow-up
- Create and oversee STAR program, the Coaching Clinic
- Oversee and supervise all aspects of the Implementation Manager and Events Manager Positions
- Perform ongoing assessment of implementation practices and provide recommendations for growth
- Develop and operate within the parameters of a zero-balanced budget
- Present program content and company information at professional conferences and events
- Oversee the performance of, and maintain relationships with, approximately 90 independent contractors (Master and Certified Instructors), including travel to observe and evaluate their teaching/coaching/training methods, providing ongoing training plans and oversee mentor program and annual contract renewals.
- Lead the certified instructor recruitment and selection process, with an emphasis on diversity and inclusion
- Build and maintain partnerships with third-party organizations and agencies to support social-emotional efforts.
- Develop strategies to provide support and advice for customers and clients to resolve individual social-emotional issues, working closely with the Owner/Founder, CEO and other relevant personnel
- Create, prepare and participate in professional development, workshops, conferences and committees as it pertains to innovative social emotional learning practices and research efforts
- Partner with government affairs team and agencies as needed
- Assess and develop the Instructor Mentor Program, focused on Master and Certified Instructor development and continuous improvement with fidelity of instruction and implementation as a end goal
- Bring distinction to the Conscious Discipline movement nationally and internationally, making a significant impact on the field of education
- Maintain current awareness of research in the field of SEL, classroom management, school culture and climate.
- Collaborate and communicate with company Divisions on a regular basis
- Attend all professional development-related meetings and events
- Coordinate the writing and submission of grants as applicable for program strategies
- Contributes to office family climate and culture
Primary Duties, Research:
- Oversee research efforts in partnership with Child Trends, including study design, analysis of qualitative and quantitative data, statistics, presenting and publishing results and management of relationships with implementation partners
- Analyze information, strategies and practices; making adjustments and improvements as necessary
- Develop and refine new and existing assessment tools for use by clients implementing Conscious Discipline
- Coordinate the implementation of federal, state or other grants, including ensuring strategy implementation, follow-up with stakeholders, data collection and reporting and coordination with content specialists in the completion of applications and RFPs in compliance with federal, state and local laws
- Participate in site assessments to determine implementation progress and potential
- Assist and guide clients in areas of research collection and interest in tracking implementation data
- Advise owner/founder and CEO of current developments in self-regulation and social emotional learning research
- Establish and maintain inter-rater reliability within the Conscious Discipline Certified Instructor framework
Skills and Abilities:
- Strategic thinking and planning
- Skilled multi-tasker and excellent time manager, ability to effectively achieve multiple goals and manage multiple projects simultaneously in a fast-paced environment
- Sophistication in understanding learning differences and devising appropriate strategies for accommodating them
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively in multidisciplinary teams
- Initiative to solve problems coupled with a comfort level in asking for help when needed
- Ability to develop and maintain professional relationships with networks of schools, agency and/or community partners that are currently utilizing Conscious Discipline and prospective clients as well as internally
- Ability to maintain big picture vision as well as manage details
- Demonstrated experience working in and fostering a diverse staff
- A methodical approach, and the ability to analyze and process data
- Analytical thinker and problem solver
- Persuasive communicator, skilled in interpersonal communication and networking skills
- Tenacity and patience, to see programs and research through from design to completion
- Ability to judiciously manage available resources to carry out assigned projects
- A self-starter with a strong sense of ownership, initiative and a need to finish
- Doctoral degree in school, clinical, social sciences education, community psychology or related field.
- 2+ years of experience as lead of research and evaluation project beyond graduate degree
- A generalist in early childhood/elementary (PreK-6) who possesses expertise in classroom management and SEL
- Published researcher in the field of SEL; school climate and/or classroom management.
- Knowledge and skills in the areas of social emotional learning, behavioral modification, mental health, de-escalation techniques and community support
- A working knowledge of SEL, early childhood and adolescent development as well as learning theory and pedagogy
- Responsive, highly productive professional able to work with numerous employees in remote locations
- Demonstrated practical knowledge and problem-solving strategies
- Experience overseeing and supervising a team of at least 10 employees
- Experience supervising students in a clinical setting or evaluating teaching methodology
- Understanding and knowledge of the research process and working with researchers
- Familiarity with the Social Emotional Learning sector, standards, new developments and evidence-based approaches, Conscious Discipline, public/charter schools and early childhood experience
- Experience with qualitative and quantitative research methodology, advanced data analysis techniques and professional and public writing preferred
- Knowledgeable of Federal, state or other grants and funding options for clients
- Evening/weekend work and ability to travel between multiple national/international sites required
- Ability to work with persons of diverse cultures and socio-economic backgrounds
- Industry certifications/memberships a plus
- Frequent evening and weekend work
- Ability to travel locally, nationally and internationally
- Position is based in Oviedo, FL
Physical Demands of the Position:
- Must be able to remain in a stationary position 50%
- Movement about inside the office or event space to assist at various workstations, access file cabinets, office machinery, event displays and materials, etc.
- Constantly operates a computer and other office productivity machinery, such as a calculator, copy machine and computer printer
- Frequently communicates with internal and external audiences via phone, computer and in person. Must be able to exchange accurate information in these situations
- Must be able to detect and determine details pertaining to work performed - this position requires frequent reviewing of documents and electronic communication, and making determinations based on information received
- Event set-up activities include pushing, pulling, lifting, grasping, stooping, crouching
- Ability to lift 25 pound boxes to a height of 3-4 feet and load them into trucks or on pallets
- Fine motor skills such as tablet and computer use
Salary is commensurate with experience and a competitive compensation package. Applicants wishing to be considered are asked to submit the following:
- Cover letter addressing the applicant’s interest and qualification for the position.
- Curriculum Vitae
- Three position-relevant writing samples, i.e. journal articles, book chapters, conference papers
- Names and contact information of 3 professional references
- A vision statement that addresses the following:
- Leadership of a Professional Development Division
- Current trends in Social Emotional Learning
- Utilizing workshops and conferences to increase company awareness and enhance learning
- Research implementation in SEL
- Forging relationships with BIG Clients for BIG implementation plans
- Recruiting diverse and inclusive Certified Instructors
- Development and growth of Master Instructors
Our client values hard work and dedication. In return they provide a competitive compensation, bonus potential, an extensive benefits package, generous PTO. Plus, we work to maintain the best possible environment for our employees where people can learn and grow the company. We strive to provide a collaborative environment where each person feels encouraged to contribute to our processes, decisions, planning and culture.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.