Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Engineer Ill - Structural Finite Element Analyst
Jacobs Technology provides overall management and implementation of ground systems capabilities, flight hardware processing and launch operations at NASA's Kennedy Space Center in Florida. These tasks will support the International Space Station, Ground Systems Development and Operations, and the Space Launch System, Orion Multi-Purpose Crew Vehicle and Launch Services programs.
• Provide technical engineering direction for the Civil/Structural Analysis department including design, analysis, implementation, and operational support.
• Depending on the project type, tasks can vary between conceptual design, revisions to existing designs, and/or modifications to existing structures or Ground Support Equipment (GSE).
• Through finite element analysis and fundamental hand calculations, assure that systems/facilities operate in a safe and appropriate manner, and comply with all applicable NASA, federal, and industry codes/standards.
• Prepare all essential design/analysis documentation required for a complete and viable engineering package - particularly authoring of a comprehensive Design Analysis Report (DAR).
• Review and provide comment to engineering models, methodologies, and deliverables from colleagues within, and occasionally outside, the Civil/Structural Analysis department.
• Troubleshoot equipment/system anomalies using available data and/or testing results.
• Guide technicians through repairs and system operations referencing specific functional, maintenance, repair, and test procedures.• Successfully interface with the NASA customer and other client representatives by supporting or presenting at a variety of Engineering Review Boards.
• Manage completion of tasks on-schedule and within budget to the customer's satisfaction.
• Support construction activities to validate compliance with engineering drawings and contract documents.
• Provide guidance and mentorship to less experienced engineers.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
BS degree in Civil, Mechanical, or Aerospace Engineering from an accredited university plus ten (10) or more years of progressive and relevant experience. Additional relevant education and certifications may be substituted for a portion of the experience.
• This is a senior level engineering position with a required ten (10) or more years of relevant design/analysis experience within the disciplines of structural engineering or finite element analysis (FEA).
• Comprehensive knowledge of applicable AISC, ASCE, ACI, and other relevant industry standards is required.
• Thorough understanding of conventional industry structural analysis software packages (preferably STAAD or SAP2000) is required.
• Proficient expertise in the use of standard industry FEA packages, such as NX Nastran and/or MSC Nastran is highly desired.
• Ability to perform complex hand calculations is required.
• With limited guidance, must be capable of utilizing engineering concepts and advanced analysis techniques in order to gather data and write technical dispositions to bring systems/structures to their desired working fidelity.
• Excellent technical writing, communication, presentation, and customer interface skills.
• Ability to work effectively and cooperatively in a team environment.
• Must be well organized, flexible, and capable of effectively prioritizing several multidisciplinary tasks.
• Inherently self-motivated, demonstrate initiative, and able to work independently (or with minimal supervision).
• Able to provide sound guidance and mentorship to less experienced engineers.
• Must have the ability to obtain and maintain a security clearance, if necessary.
- Will be required to climb stairs in order to access equipment for trouble shooting.
- Will be required to wear hearing protection, eye protection and other associated personal protective equipment.
- Position may involve extended periods of sitting or standing.
- Physical requirements are: sitting, walking, standing, extensive use of stairs, and access to remote structures.
- Position is located on a hazardous testing facility; must be able to quickly evacuate buildings in the event of an emergency.
- Will be required to work inside and outside throughout the test complex.
- Position may require daily individual to travel to different areas on site.
- Walking on uneven terrain including paved areas, gravel/rocks, and dirt/sand is required to access various locations on the facility.
- Climbing ladders and platforms may be necessary.
- All work must be completed in a safe manner in accordance with NASA and Company
- safety standards.
Equipment and Machines
- Computers and printers used for producing reports and schedules.
- Variety of equipment used in testing.
- Full-time regular work hours between Monday-Friday.
- Position may require occasional overtime including weekend work depending on task.
- Must be dependable and punctual.
- Shift work may be required.
Other Essential Functions
- Must be able to accurately communicate ideas in writing and verbal communication.
- Must be able to travel to support position requirements. This may include travel to and from customer location, which may involve airline travel. In some cases, accommodations can be made for POV, if necessary.
- Grooming and dress must be appropriate for the position and must not impose a safety risk/hazard to the employee or others.
- Must comply with all “drug free workplace” requirements as mandated by directives issued by the appropriate federal contracting officer and the company, which requires drug testing for use of illegal drugs by employees in sensitive positions.
- Government security clearance may be required in the future.
- Must maintain a positive work atmosphere by behaving and communicating in a manner that fosters good relations with customers, clients, co-workers, and management.
Jacobs is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
Jacobs is a drug-free workplace.