Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Sr Data Engineer
The National Association for Stock Car Auto Racing (NASCAR) is the sanctioning body for the No. 1 form of motorsports in the United States and owner of 16 of the nation’s major motorsports entertainment facilities. NASCAR consists of three national series (NASCAR Cup Series™, NASCAR Xfinity Series™, and NASCAR Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series™), four regional series (ARCA Menards Series, ARCA Menards Series East & West and the NASCAR Whelen Modified Tour), one local grassroots series and three international series. The International Motor Sports Association™ (IMSA®) governs the IMSA WeatherTech SportsCar Championship™, the premier U.S. sports car series. NASCAR also owns Motor Racing Network, Racing Electronics, Americrown Service and ONE DAYTONA. Based in Daytona Beach, Florida, with offices in eight cities across North America, NASCAR sanctions more than 1,200 races in more than 30 U.S. states, Canada, Mexico and Europe. For more information visit www.NASCAR.com and www.IMSA.com, and follow NASCAR on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat (‘NASCAR’)
NASCAR seeks a talented professional to join in the position of a Senior Data Engineer based in our Daytona Beach, FL office. The Sr Data Engineer is responsible for finding trends in data sets and developing algorithms to help make raw data more useful to the enterprise. This IT role requires a significant set of technical skills, including a deep knowledge of SQL database administration/design and multiple programming languages.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Data Engineer leads innovation through exploration, benchmarking, making recommendations, and implementing big data technologies for platforms.
- Experience SQL Server and Azure database administration experience that can use the existing tools (Solarwind) to maintain, monitor, and tune the databases.
- Responsible for managing role-based database security.
- Responsible for enabling and running data migrations across different databases and different servers, for example, data migration from Oracle to SQL servers and SQL Server to Snowflake or Azure.
- Defines and implements data stores based on system requirements and consumer requirements.
- Responsible for performing thorough testing and validation in order to support the accuracy of data reports and analytics.
- Works to ensure proper data governance and quality across the Data and Analytics department and the business as a whole.
- Analyzes complex data elements and systems, data flow, dependencies, and relationships in order to contribute to conceptual physical and logical data models.
- Performs an analytical role with ad-hoc analyses of data stored in the business’s Azure (MS SQL Server and Azure databases and writes SQL scripts, stored procedures, functions, and views.
- Troubleshoots data issues within the business and across the business and presents solutions to these issues.
- Proactively analyzes and evaluates the business’s databases in order to identify and recommend improvements and optimization.
- Collaborative role where, in collaboration with senior data engineering team
- Supporting role to various departments across the business where he supports and provides useful insights on the implementation of workflows.
- Supporting role to the data warehousing department in the implementation of the data warehouse for the new big data platforms.
- Works collaboratively with the entire Data and Analytics team, providing support to cross-functional departments for data centric needs.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Basic Language Requirement: Python, TSQL, Visual Basic, and C+.
- Solid Knowledge of Operating Systems, Windows and Cloud based Azure.
- Heavy, In-Depth Database Knowledge – Microsoft SQL Server and Azure
- Data Warehousing – Snowflake, CRM.
- At least 3 years of working experience as a database engineering support personnel or a database engineering administrator within a fast-paced a complex business setting.
- Candidate will also have had experience working with Microsoft SQL, Azure and Snowflake.
- Must have demonstrated skills in SQL server reporting services (SSRS), Tableau, integration services (SSIS), PowerBI or any other data visualization tools.
- Candidate must demonstrate experience working with large and complex data sets as well as experience analyzing volumes of data through basic Microsoft Excel functions, for example, macros and pivot tables.
- Candidate for this position will also have had experience working in internet technologies, for example, SaaS, IaaS, and PaaS.
- Proven experience in the creation and debugging of databases critical to the business’s mission.
- Candidate will have strong working and conceptual knowledge of building and maintaining physical and logical data models and experience with Tableau, PowerBI, Domo or other business intelligence tools.
- An extra plus is to have analytical skills, showing fluency in the use of tools such as strong Python, Shell, Java, PHP, and T-SQL programming skills.
- Must be technologically adept, demonstrating strong diverse computer skills.
- The candidate must demonstrate experience of developing databases using SSIS packages, T-SQL, MSSQL.
Education and/or Experience
Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from four-year college or university; or one to two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
How many years of experience are required – in what field?
Years of experience: 3-5 years
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents. Ability to respond to common inquires or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community. Ability to write speeches and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format. Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/or boards of directors.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to apply principles of logical or scientific thinking to a wide range of intellectual and practical problems. Ability to deal with nonverbal symbolism (formulas, scientific equations, graphs, music notes, etc.,) in its most difficult phases. Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
Proficient on Company-provided hardware and software.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle or fee; and talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to walk; and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to stand; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is regularly required to lift up to 25 pounds. The employee is frequently required to lift up to 50 pounds. The employee is occasionally required to lift up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
Learn more about this role and our team by applying at www.careers.nascar.com for consideration.
We are a company unlike any other. At NASCAR, you will find a community of passionate individuals who care about the sport and are united in seeing it grow. We want you to bring your experience, skills and passion to our close-knit, high-energy environment in which our employees thrive and where you can prosper. We know the key to our success is our employees and we offer highly competitive salaries, a solid benefits package focused on wellness, and opportunities for you to grow and develop both personally and professionally. It won’t take you long to find out that you are on the right track here at NASCAR!
NASCAR is committed to fostering a diverse work environment where all employees feel valued and empowered. NASCAR is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). We seek to attract and retain the best qualified people available. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, pregnancy, veteran status or any basis that is protected by applicable law except where a bona fide occupational qualification exists.
Follow us on Twitter @NASCARJobs to stay current on all of our openings.