Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Construction Inspector/Engineer In Training (Remote and Florida Statewide)
at SAM, inc.
- Job ID
- Job Location
- Construction Services
Who We Are
SAM Companies is recognized as the industry’s technology leader in providing geospatial solutions and construction phase services on a national scale. Our staff encompasses 1,000+ individuals from diverse backgrounds who are deploying the latest industry technology and changing the way data is collected and delivered in our industry.
Our entrepreneurial culture is a key factor in SAM being recognized as a Top Workplace for seven consecutive years, and we make it our mission to ensure every one of our employees learns how to build and manage a business, not just be the subject matter expert on the team. At SAM, our employee’s development is instrumental to our success. Your learning will be supported by specialized in-house training programs and mentoring by the industry’s leading experts, who just happen to be on our staff! We make SAM a GREAT place to work, but it all starts with YOU!
Your Impact at SAM
Works together with others inspecting construction methods and workmanship to ensure contractor constructs improvements in accordance with plans and specifications. Typically more responsible to a more senior inspector and a licensed professional engineer who has full authority for final approval of all engineering-related work. Work requires contact with client, typically a governmental agency and private entities including construction contractors.
- Under the review and direction of Project Manager, perform field inspection and oversight of construction activities
- Maintains daily reports of inspection work along with detail records of project progress
- Must possess good interpersonal and communication skills
- Able to read and interpret plans, specifications and applicable standards
- Commensurate with experience, review contract documents to verify compliance with governmental regulations and conformance with project requirements
- Assist with coordinating materials sampling and testing and verifying sufficient testing has been performed
- Verify accuracy of payment requests and invoicing for completed work
- Experienced with FDOT construction inspection and procedures
- Ability to coordinate with contractors’ staff and effectively communicate with all parties
- Performs standard mathematical calculations
- Able and willing to work day or night shifts and/or flexible schedules as required to support the project requirements
- Able to accept assignments requiring extended travel to project perform inspection tasks, to attend preconstruction meetings, project progress meetings, etc.
- Perform other tasks as assigned to help accomplish the Company’s strategic goals
- This position does not have supervisory responsibilities
- This position is remote and based in Florida
What You Bring to SAM
- High School Diploma or GED
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in Construction Engineering & Inspection (CEI) for transportation project as described herein. Direct field experience as a Contractor or materials-testing technician can substitute for Construction Inspection experience on a case-by-case basis
- Highly motivated and works well with minimal supervision
- Thorough knowledge of FDOT specifications and standards with ability and willingness to study and advance relevant knowledge outside of work
- Familiarity with SiteManager software is preferred, but not required
- Experience with Primavera and other scheduling software preferred, but not required
- Must have functional computer skills to include Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must have the ability to complete inspector certification courses. Examples include DOT classes in hot-mix asphalt and ACI concrete sampling and testing
- Must have current FDOT CTQP Level I certifications plus Intermediate MOT or above
- Field testing certifications through APA and/or ACI is preferred
We offer a best-in-class benefits package that includes company paid premiums for medical, vision, dental and life insurance. SAM’s 401 (k) program offers a 100% employer match up to 3% of your contribution, along with a 401(k) profit sharing and performance-based bonuses. In addition, we offer:
• Generous paid time off
• Tuition reimbursement
• No glass ceiling! Truly a place to spread your wings
• Work/life balance with flexible work hours – priority is getting the job done
• Trainings every Tuesday – Specialized in-house trainings programs designed to assist you in advancing in your career
• Office snacks, free food and fun-themed, employee events provided throughout the year
• Passion for our Community – You have endless opportunities to volunteer alongside your peers with our Corporate Social Responsibility Program
SAM is an EOE/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/D/V. SAM also participates in the federal E-Verify Program.