South Lake Hospital
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Lab Phlebotomist Certified - Laboratory - Variable Full Time - Evenings
at South Lake Hospital
Job TitleLab Phlebotomist Certified - Laboratory - Variable Full Time - Evenings
LocationSouth Lake Hospital-SLH
South Lake Hospital is centrally located in Clermont, Florida, which combines the appeal of suburban life with easy access to Orlando, all of the major theme parks, and beautiful beaches on both coasts. At South Lake Hospital, our mission is to improve the health and quality of life of the individuals and communities in South Lake County. Our 160-acre health, wellness, and education campus provides a complete continuum of quality care. With 170 beds, and more than 1,500 employees, we offer a variety of medical services including diagnostic imaging, orthopedics, robotic surgery, urology, women's services, and our cardiac catheterization laboratory.
- Performs laboratory specimen collection following approved policies and procedures. At least 80% of productive time is performing phlebotomy procedure.
- Perform peripheral IV insertion.
- Ability to work outside the immediate laboratory setting.
- Communication with immediate supervisor on any issues that may impact patient care.
- Provides support in the areas of patient registration, demonstrates a thorough knowledge of third party reimbursement requirements and regulations
- Demonstrate knowledge of specimen collection and handling requirements.
- Knowledge of hospital and laboratory information systems, specimen processing, billing, reference testing and scheduling.
- Maintains appropriate supplies.
- Maintains positive customer service relationships at all times and proactively responds to customer service issues.
- Trains staff as required.
- Ability to work flexible hours to meet the needs of the department.
- Ability to coordinate, organize and perform any outreach phlebotomy service required.
- Coordinates laboratory specimen collection for inpatient and outpatient settings
- Excellent interpersonal skills to work cooperatively with all team members and respond to customer phone calls.
- Acts as liaison between the laboratory, physicians, nursing personnel, other ancillary departments, clients and vendors outside the laboratory.
- Follows established policies and procedures to meet regulatory and accrediting agency requirements.
- Maintains reasonably regular, punctual attendance consistent with Orlando Health policies, the ADA, FMLA and other federal, state and local standards.
- Maintains compliance with all Orlando Health policies and procedures.
Other Related Functions
- May perform bed side testing, such as glucose.
- Responsible for maintaining an active role in the laboratory Quality Improvement Program.
- Documents specimen quality issues.
- Adheres to infection control and safety practices and keeps a clean and organized work area.
- Maintains confidentiality of patient record, hospital and departmental matters at all times.
- Maximize productivity, customer satisfaction, and profitability.
High School graduate or equivalent.
Phlebotomy certification from American Society for Clinical Pathology (ASCP), the National Phlebotomy Association (NPA), American Society of Phlebotomy Technicians (ASPT) or any certification program requiring a phlebotomy rotation with minimum of 100 patient collections and a requirement of continuing education to maintain certification.