Suffolk Transportation Service, Inc.
Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Tower Crane Service Technician
at Suffolk Transportation Service, Inc.
- Job Location : Location
- US-FL-Pompano Beach
- Regular Full-Time
- Field Operations
The Service Technician is responsible for the repairing and refurbishment of all electrical, mechanical, and hydraulic systems pertaining to multiple manufacturers' makes of traditional horizontal boom and luffing boom tower cranes. Qualifying candidates will be required to pass both a schematic 'logic' reading demonstration and a practical repair skills examination. This candidate will possess outstanding troubleshooting skills with a proven track record with which references will be contacted. The successful candidate will also be able to “learn” new methods, new techniques, and other skill sets previously unknown to them to improve their knowledge base – to grow with our company!
1) Field service: On site performance of crane inspections, repairs, modifications, and the ability to expediently restore proper operation of the equipment for our customers. The work performed will require appropriate documentation to be completed in a timely manner and submitted in accordance to company policies. Field activities will also require maintenance – which will include the technician's ability to operate without intimidation – grease guns, caulking guns, and spray lubricants. This is a hands-on career that requires an incredible diversity of skills and especially a level of drive that is unsurpassed by any other trade. And this is because once in the air after riding up a construction elevator for 40 floors, and climbing 200 ft or more of tower, the technician arrives to the mechanisms with the proper tooling, meter, schematics, and spare parts to complete the required repairs in a timely fashion – which means for most general cases – within two hours. Within two hours of the accent, the crane will be returned to the customer. With of course changing this time frame are larger problems like replacing a hoist motor (4 hours) and or wire ropes and or sheaves. This includes the mastery of reading, interpreting, and most of all – comprehending – electrical schematics, troubleshooting circuitry, adjusting electromagnetic brakes, what the ohm values from motor & brake windings mean (within the scope of these specific applications of course), how to punch in the correct values in a VF drive, the ability to map out the lights on PLCs through your own trial and error techniques, and so forth. This field service will also include the skills required to properly load and unload, stack, block up, and properly rig all crane components both on site and back in the crane yards. This is a real job which requires real skill sets in electrical, mechanical, hydraulic, proper drilling procedures, maintenance, refurbishment, rigging, signaling, and the ability to work and follow any and all companies' and customer’s safety requirements. Also, a good disposition with proper communication etiquette are a must, for we must always remember that our customers are our livelihood...
2) Refurbishment: The difference here - is discipline, time management, and the ability to plan ahead. When a crane returns from service, it should take no more than 3 weeks to repack and/or replace all bearings in all sheaves, replace all corroded cotter keys, replace all electric motors with rebuilt ones, and disassemble and tighten all electrical plugs & sockets, replace worn contact points, replace worn relays, clean the cab, and run test all functions. In addition, all structural components should be freed of rust pockets in the paint, the pins require cleaning and lubrication. And of course, there are detailed task lists readily available for reference. The service technician takes pride in these accomplishments. And of course, if proper field documentation was provided, then all of the required parts and components will have already been ordered prior to the arrival of the returning crane or cranes...
If you are a proven performer who enjoys working on collaborative teams, thinking outside the box and exceeding expectations, you may qualify for an exciting and rewarding career at Liberty Construction Services.
- Service cranes and hoists for Liberty Equipment & Supply.
- Erect, climb, dismantle, and perform maintenance and repairs to cranes and personnel / material hoist.
- Assist Shop Crewmen with maintenance and repair of cranes and hoists when not assigned to a jobsite.
- Provide assistance with proper loading of equipment on trucks for transporting.
- Has working knowledge of OSHA safety regulations as they apply to crane and hoist erection, dismantle, climbing, maintenance and repairs. Complies with company and regulatory safety requirements and specifications on jobsites and in the district yard and shop.
- Notifies Director of Equipment of unsafe conditions or practices and Corporate Safety Director, National Service Manager or Operations Manager if District is not available.
- Understands and properly uses company supplied safety equipment as required. Including
- hardhats, safety glasses, body harness, etc. in compliance with company policy.
- Represents the company in a professional manner. This includes the wearing of company supplied uniforms, and the maintenance of company vehicles, tools, and equipment.
- Submits required service reports, expense reports, time sheets and other documents as requested within designated timeframes established by the home office.
- Works overtime as needed to accommodate the needs of the business including "on call status" as required.
- Ability to learn and troubleshoot electrical and mechanical functions or tower cranes and personnel /material hoists.
- Knowledge and understanding of equipment manuals describing the various types of cranes and hoists in service.
Technical Skills / Licenses Required:
- Minimum of 5 to 7 years of proven experience in a like industrial equipment environment or equivalent Military experience.
- Experience working with 480V – 3 phase motor and braking controls with a working expertise of electrical schematic logic and the relationship to the equipment.
- Skilled with diagnostics and troubleshooting complex electrical, electro-mechanical, PLC logic, and VF drive parameters.
- The like experience with mechanical abilities with a strong understanding of moving parts and their repairs. High school diploma, Vocational school diploma, engineering degree a plus.
- Valid state driver's' license is mandatory.
- Computer skills including applications in MS Office and iPhone.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit for long periods of time; talk or hear; perform fine motor, hand and finger skills in the use of a keyboard, telephone, or writing. The employee is frequently required to stands; walk; and reach with arms and/or hands. Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus. The employee will spend their time in an office environment with a quiet to moderate noise level. Job site walking.
Suffolk and Liberty Construction are equal opportunity employers and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, national origin, citizenship, genetic information, disability, protected veteran, gender identity, age or any other status protected by law.
This applies to recruiting, hiring, transfers, promotions, terminations, compensation, benefits, and all other terms and conditions of employment, and also states that retaliation against any employee who files a complaint regarding possible violations of this policy will not be tolerated.