Receive alerts when this company posts new jobs.
Special Worker - Mosquito Control - Student Worker - Arbovirus Surveillance
at Volusia County
- Major Functions
*NOTE: Internship opportunity is also available for college credit if requirements are met. (please click HERE to find out more about internship opportunity)
The County of Volusia is seeking Student Workers for the Mosquito Control Division. This position is located in New Smyrna Beach, Florida and will be primarily be responsible for supporting mosquito and arbovirus surveillance operations. This positions will also be involved in the various daily operations of our Integrated Pest Management Program including but not limited to: collection and identification of mosquito species, data input and management, field inspections for mosquito production sites, public education and outreach, and insecticide resistance monitoring.
- Illustrative Duties
(NOTE: These are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work performed. The omission of specific duties does not exclude them from the position.)
- Set and collect various types of mosquito traps on a routine basis throughout Volusia County.
- Responsible for independently loading and unloading trap supplies, charging batteries and reporting damaged or nonfunctional supplies.
- Responsible for driving and maintaining a shared county vehicle.
- Use of microscopes to identify adult and larval mosquitoes.
- Rear and maintain mosquito colonies in our insectary for resistance monitoring, efficacy trials and other special projects.
- Input and manage mosquito collection data electronically; data analysis as required.
- Use of internal programs to perform basic GIS related functions.
- Participate in special projects such as insecticide efficacy trials in both lab and field settings.
- Perform field inspections for mosquito production, including home inspections, for surveying both natural and man-made larval sites.
- Interact positively with the public during operations.
- Work with staff to amend or create educational materials, enhance website content and utility.
- Maintain sentinel chicken flock and chicken coops.
- May be assigned to other county locations based upon operational duties.
- Attends work on a regular and consistent basis.
- Must adhere to Federal, State, County and Local ordinances.
- Responds to emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Minimum Requirements
Salary for this position is as follows:
Undergraduate Salary: $10.00/hr.
Graduate Salary: $13.00/hr.
Must be an active Undergraduate or Graduate student, attending an accredited College/University OR attending vocational school.
Note: College/University student must be currently enrolled full-time (Spring/Fall semester – minimum 12 credit hours or Summer semester - minimum 6 credit hours), OR full-time Graduate Student (9 credit hours), OR a full-time student in an associate degree or vocational program.
Must possess and maintain a valid Florida driver's license.
Having met the minimum requirements, the preferred candidate will be currently seeking a degree in Biology, Entomology, Environmental Science or natural science or related field, Communications, Computer Science/Mathematics, Cartography, Geographic Information Systems (GIS), or Geospatial Analysis related field.
- Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Able to complete assignment within the project time period.
- Able to utilize a laptop, GPS, and/or comparable device.
- Able to work under stressful conditions.
- Able to work independently.
- Able to learn the operation of four-wheel drive vehicles.
- Able to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
- Able to interact effectively with others including the public.
- Must be able to relocate to other county locations based upon operational needs.
Physical Demands: Medium work. Ability to traverse undeveloped, uneven, wet, broken terrain, wooded, marshy areas. Ability to see (peripheral vision, depth perception, acuity), talk, hear, reach, walk, bend, squat, kneel, grasp. Ability to lift, carry (35 lbs.)
Environmental Demands: Inside and outside work. Ability to tolerate inclement weather including rain, humidity, heat, cold, and lightning. Potential exposure to saltwater, chemicals, insects, toxic plants, snakes, salt air, mud, dust, confined spaces and poor ventilation.
Mental Demands: Ability to read and comprehend technical and scientific reports and manuals; instructions, procedures, memos, letters. Ability to perform shop math. Ability to speak clearly and concisely to public and laymen; conversant in theory and practices of discipline. Ability to write reports, summaries, instructions, procedures, memos, letters.
Volusia County is a drug free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to a diverse workforce.